Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Hong Kong feels like

a dream. A wonderful dream, one of those ones that you wake up from and wish that it could have lasted longer.  It was a weekend to remember. I wanted to drink it all in, remember every detail.

Like how there wasn't a 4 or 14th floor at our hotel because in China those numbers are considered evil. All the taxis are red, and there are more escalators than I've ever seen in my life. I guess fitting 7 million people into such a small area requires stuff like that. The fishing village: little dilapidated boats that people actually live on --- and Victoria Peak has the most incredible view of the city --- shopping at Stanley market (which included trying to bargain for the first time) --- oh yes. What a dream.

But now I've woken up. Home in the states... heck even Hong Kong. Those really feel like dreams at the moment. This is my reality. I just survived the longest, hottest, sweatiest, dirtiest and most unusual day of my entire life. I loved it.

We had to be at the school at 7:30 this morning to meet the headmistress and see our classrooms. The school is adorable and the headmistress quite friendly. We had porridge (rice in a sort of soup with little thin meat chunks floating in it) and a sweet roll for breakfast. Very unlike anything I've ever had before, but it was also very good. We then spent quite a while wandering around the city trying to find the bank, and various other places. I've never seen a crazier traffic system in my life - rickshaws and motorcycles and fancy cars all darting and weaving, with pedestrians who don't seem to care whether or not there is a sidewalk for them to walk on. Therefore: there is a lot of honking going on.

I've never felt more conspicuous in my life than I did today. Some people darted sneaky glances at us, most just openly stared. Some would point, and a few would call out 'hello.'  I don't think they knew any more than that. The times I tried to talk to someone they didn't know any English at all. I'm getting good at sign language,  but I try to keep my mouth shut except to speak English because the two times I tried to say 'thank you' in Mandarin, people openly laughed at me. I don't have a clue what I said, but I'm certain that my tonation was wrong. Oh well. Despite the language barrier, I did manage to make two purchases without any help from someone who could speak. I felt quite accomplished.

Our apartment is filthy. Maybe partially because it's been vacated all summer, and maybe partially because this is China --- so we spent about 40 USD on cleaning supplies --- which cost us over 200 yuan --- and we went to work. The room I share with two other girls is now sanitary. Not pretty --- but it's clean and tidy and after a shower tonight I feel like a new body.

I wish I could write more --- but it's midnight and we have to be at the school again at 7:30 tomorrow. The school here is trying to work us to death --- hopefully things cool down soon and I can spend more time feeling like an actual human being.

China is a crazy place. I think I'm going to love it here though.

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are having such an amazing adventure. Just remember that these memories will provide laughter and tears for years and years to come!! I love you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! such great adventures ahead! Your mom was telling me how you appreciate "house shoes" for the floor :)

    I am making sure to share your blog with my friends. I really love your writing style, kiddo.

    Hugs from your Uncle!

    Love you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bah! Krystal, I am so jealous that you are having so many adventures without us! You're epic. That's all.

    ReplyDelete