Monday, September 26, 2011

A few Chinese words

that I am not likely to forget anytime soon:

#1.  xie xie (shay shay)  Translation: Thank You
I use this one a lot. People have quit laughing at me when I use it. Hooray!

#2. ni hao (nee how) Translation: Hello
One of the most common we hear :) I'll bet you even knew this one. 

#3. li (lee) Translation: Pear
This one is just easy to remember. Ha! (And you thought these were all going to be common words.)

#4. duo shao qian (doh sh-ow she-en) Translation: How much is it?
Comes in handy when shopping. And how, you may ask, do I understand the price? Usually they type it into a calculator so that we can see it.

#5. tai gui le (tie gway luh) Translation: It's too expensive
Also very helpful. Especially when bargaining.

#6. ping shui (ping shu-way) Translation: Bottle Water
I remember that ping=bottle thanks to Carrie and Camille, and water is just one that needs to be memorized.

#7. jiaoshi (luh-ow shu) Translation: Teacher
When multiple adorable children look up at you frequently throughout each day and plead "jaioshi, jaioshi"   yeah ---- you wouldn't forget it either.

*Please note. All pronunciations are approximate, and made up by yours truly. Don't rely on them please. :)
**Also note: if you decide to pronounce these with the wrong tones, then they might not mean these translations at all. Haha. Chinese is tough....

1 comment:

  1. :D We made your blog post today, eh? I'm glad you are not forgetting about Ping... he's kind of crucial to my future, you know. ;) hehe. Love you dear girl!

    ReplyDelete