Sunday, September 25, 2011

Illegal Worship

What did you do on Sunday? I'm willing to bet that you did pretty much whatever it is you wanted to do. Maybe you went to Church. Had a family dinner? Played a game, traveled somewhere? And I'll bet that not once did you ever wonder if anything you were doing was illegal.

My Sunday was not like your Sunday. I left my apartment at 7:30 in the morning to get on a bus. #232 took us to a stop at the Fuhua Hotel, which is about an hour away. At the Fahua hotel we stood and waited for the bus with the sea foam green bumper. When we saw it, we waved it down, and then sat on that bus for about another 45 minutes. We disembarked in Kaiyin across from an apartment building, and made our way up to floor 3B (remember they don't believe in 4th floors here) where we crammed ourselves into a dorm room with a whole plethera of other Americans. We quietly sang a few hymns and took the sacrament for Church service. It felt so good to be able to worship with people who believe as I do, and to renew my baptismal covenants.

When we were done with the "sacrament meeting" (no speakers, just hymns and the sacrament) we were asked to keep quiet about our Sunday meetings. In the future we'll follow up Sacrament meeting with some small Sunday school lessons --- which will also have to be very quiet affairs. 'Why?' you might ask.

Because it's technically illegal for us to meet. We aren't allowed to tell people what we are doing, any advertisement of any sort about our religion could get ILP kicked out of the city. 

Yeah. Underground Sacrament meeting. 

Weird right? 

My whole life I've been grateful for my beliefs. They bring me such happiness, and I've always been encouraged to share the things that make me happy with others. But here in China we have to cover it up. Worship is extremely private. Don't ask, don't tell when other Chinese are around. Only talk about it with the Americans. 

I don't like it. I want to talk about it. I want to explain what I believe. But I made an agreement not to, and I'll keep it. 

It's made me so grateful for the freedom of religion we enjoy in America. We have the freedom to share what we believe. We can say whatever we want wherever and whenever we want without fear of repercussion. It's not like that here. 

I've started praying for these wonderful Chinese people. I don't know how or when it will happen, but I believe that someday missionaries will be able to teach the Gospel to these people, and some of them will accept it and find as much joy and happiness from it as I do. 

On the bus ride home from Kaiyin yesterday I was reading in 3 Nephi. Chapter 16 verse 20 says "The Lord hath made bare his holy arm in the eyes of all the nations; and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of God." 

*Note: ALL the nations. ALL the ends of the earth. 

China will receive the blessings of the gospel, and I will be so excited when that day comes! I wish that day could be today, but it's not. So for now, I'll just keep praying. And keep being grateful that I am an American. I am free. And blessed. Just like the song says:

"I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free. And I won't forget the men who died who gave that right to me, and I'd gladly stand up, next to you, to defend Her still today. 'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land. God bless the USA!"

1 comment:

  1. That's totally nuts! I didn't realize it was like that! That would be super hard. Wow... Thanks for setting an example to all of us and staying true to the church, even if it is illegal. Wow... I am still having a hard time comprehending what that would be like...

    ReplyDelete